Special Education Parent Advisory Council
Click here for Sturgis Special Education FAQ's
Please come and hear Dr. Thor Bergersen/Psychiatrist speak on the topic of:
"When to hold your child’s hand, and when to let go: the balance between parenting and independence".
Date: 6/5/13 5:30-6:30pm Q & A until 7pm
Location: Sturgis WEST conference room/atrium/105 W. Main St. Hyannis, Ma 02601
See details HERE.
"Create Culture of High Expectations of Students with Disabilities":
Sturgis is highlighted in recent Special Education Connection.
James, Paul. “Create culture of high expectations for students with disabilities.” Special Ed Connection. LRP Publications, 29 November 2012. <http://www.specialedconnection.com>
Our SEPAC is required by the State of MA to serve both an advisory and participatory function. We work closely with Sturgis Public Charter School Special Education Department and Administration. The mission of SEPAC is to work for understanding of, respect for, and support of all children with disabilities in the community.
- Promote a network of parents of children with special needs & provide the forum to share information.
- Advise the Special Education Coordinator and Board of Trustees on operations and development of special education programs, parent & teacher training needs, and help to develop policy.
- Promote communication between SEPAC members, local, State and National organizations, councils, and groups.
- Promote communication and programs within the community to encourage understanding, acceptance, and inclusion.
- Provide informational forums to parents, educators, students, and professionals.
We have elected officers and now we are looking for some new members. Please join us!
Contacts for Sturgis East SEPAC:
Susan Lacombe, Special Education Coordinator
SEPAC EAST Meeting:
Friday March 30th from 5:30-6:30pm in the Conference Room at Sturgis East. We will spend some time talking about planning for summer. Are you looking into jobs, camps or volunteer opportunities? Bring your ideas and questions. We will also be planning upcoming presentations. Come get to know other parents and then enjoy a night out in Hyannis.
Our SEPAC is required by the State of MA to serve both an advisory and participatory function. We work closely with Sturgis Public Charter School Special Education Department and Administration.
Suggested Future Presentation Topics:
- Reading Based Learning Disabilities
- Executive Functioning/Organization
- Preparing for College/Independent Living
- Basic Rights Workshop (required each year)